|Yorktown Child and Family Centre
Job Title: Daryeelka Qoyska – Somali Outreach and Education Program Group Co-Leader Duration: 5 Hours/week FTE 0.14, Temporary Part-Time
Pay Rate: $27.21/ hr Competition #: 2019-03
Program Dates: February 26 – April 16, 2019 Contract: February 2019-April 2019
Yorktown Family Services takes pride in our tradition of providing high quality programs that are responsive to the specific needs of the communities we serve. Yorktown has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and knowledgeable Group Co-Leader for our program Daryeelka Qoyska.
Daryeelka Qoyska is a parenting program for Somali families. The program offers a mothers’ group that is a modification of the evidence-based COPE Parenting Program and Incredible Years® Program designed to reflect the culture, religion and language of the Somali Community, while focusing on such themes as parenting in Canada, understanding child development, helping children succeed in school and issues concerning Somali youth. When resources permit, the program also offers parenting workshops for Somali-speaking fathers at locations in the former City of York.
- Facilitate parenting programs to Somali communities in former City of
- Prepare flyers and targeted outreach to vulnerable and isolated populations as
- Complete any pre group
- Complete registration/intake procedures as
- Offer cultural and language-sensitive support and counseling services for parents/caregivers dealing with at-risk
- Arrange for special speakers for
- Support training volunteers to help with childcare with availability in line with program
- Provide orientation and referral to Yorktown and community services as
- Ensure all administrative requirements for program are
- Assist with quarterly reports, year ends and partnership / agency reports on
- Assist with all necessary evaluation tools and make use of pre and post
- Arrange focus groups as
- Participate in Yorktown meetings and workshops when
- Maintain a resource file, with special emphasis on Somali
- Participate in regular
- Other duties and responsibilities as
Skills & Qualifications:
- S.W.,C.Y.W. or directly related undergraduate degree/diploma from an accredited university together with 2 years of related experience
- Fluency in
- Knowledge and experience working with Somali
- Experience in facilitating parent education and support groups/programs.
- Training in different models of parent education and support programs (i.e., COPE Parenting Program) a definite
- Knowledge and experience working with families and children birth to adolescent
- Experience working with diverse cultures and
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and
- Excellent organizational and programming
- Flexibility to work
- Current Vulnerable Sector Search (6 months or less).
Program Times: Daytime – to be decided
Reports to the Manager, Prevention and Quality Improvement
Yorktown Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity. Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or by fax to 416-394-2689 by February 21, 2019. Please quote “Competition #: 2019-03” and Job title in the subject line.
Yorktown Family Services is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity.
Yorktown Family Services welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted
Comp 2019-03 Somali COPE Co-Lead February 2019