Women, children, and families in your community need your help now!
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic and the challenges faced due to the public health restrictions and various “stay at home” orders, women and children are even more vulnerable to gender-based violence and abuse.
According to the Assaulted Women’s Helpline, on average, a woman is killed by intimate partner violence every six days. Dubbed around the world the “Shadow Pandemic”, the rise in gender-based violence cases due to the pandemic has been a cause for alarm.
- A Statistics Canada report released in October of 2022 stated that police-reported family violence has increased for the 5th consecutive year.
- In 2021/22, Yorktown saw a 64% increase in the clients seen through our VAW community support programs, underscoring the strain the sector has seen in the past two years.
Despite this, Violence Against Women service providers continues to be severely underfunded nationwide. Every year the gap between government funding and the actual cost of providing these essential, life-saving services continues to grow.
To continue to help women, children and families in your community, we need your support.
With your help, we can close the gap in funding so that we can continue to make homes safe for vulnerable children, youth, women and families.
Your donations will have a significant impact:
- A one-time gift of $120, or $10 a month for a year, provides a mother or a child with immediate access to a mental health therapy session.
- A one-time gift of $200, or $15 a month for a year, provides an abuse survivor with an 8-week transition program to live a life free of violence.
- A one-time gift of $500, or $42 a month for a year, provides a father, who has exposed their child to abuse, access to group programming to help them break the cycle of violence.
- A one-time gift of $600, or $50 a month for a year, would provide essential household items to a family transitioning out of our women’s shelter and into a new home.
Please make your donation online via credit card by using the CanadaHelps form below.
Alternatively, you may contact Andrea Holmes directly to make arrangements to use your credit card by first sending her an email: email@example.com or by calling 647-244-0292. Please do not provide your credit card details in an email or voice mail.
If you would prefer to mail a cheque please send to:
Yorktown Family Services
2010 Eglinton Ave. W., Suite 300
Toronto ON, M6E 2K3
Thank you for supporting Yorktown Family Services and helping to bring positive change to Toronto’s communities.