Position: Mentor – Youth Mentorship Program
Overview: The mentor serves as a caring adult in the youths’ life and is available to listen, validate, and coach their mentee about navigating life and negotiating relationships as a young adult.
- Work alongside mentee weekly with additional ad hoc communication via telephone, email and social media as needed
- Co-develop mentorship plan with mentee which includes goals, actions activities can include exploring opportunities for learning, meeting educational or employment goals, defining needed resources etc.
- To be a caring adult to mentee through coaching them appropriately to manage relationships and navigating life as a young adult
- Encourage and support youth to set and meet educational, employment, and community engagement goals
- Facilitate and provide feedback to mentees during each session
- Engage, encourage and conduct goal setting with mentee to successfully complete mentorship plan
- Complete program surveys, evaluations, and other relevant administrative tasks
- Work collaboratively, and in consultation with the Youth Mentorship Program Coordinator to best inform ongoing engagement with the mentee
- Participate in relevant professional development opportunities
- Be over the age of 18
- Vulnerable Police Reference Check Clearance (VSS)
- Enjoy interacting, engaging, and encouraging youth
- Good Listening skills
- Commitment to the role (minimum 6-12 months, estimated 3 hours weekly)
- Complete pre-screening process (application, interview, references, assessment etc.)
- Matches will be made on the consideration of age, interests, cultural and other identities etc.
- Care will be given to ensure that both mentors and mentee feel comfortable with their match and have opportunities to get to know one another
Benefits for Mentors:
- Training in an array of areas such as communication, youth development, diversity etc.
- Increased skills in working with youth
- Support programming staff to deliver meaningful opportunities to youth in a safe and supportive environment
- Gain new transferable skills and work experience to enhance professional profile
- Meet and interact with new people and receive networking opportunities
All interested applicants should email email@example.com
Please include your name, contact details, and how you found out about this opportunity.