Title: Walk-In: Clinical Counsellor (Experienced – Volunteer Position)
Times: Monthly, or Bi-Monthly on Wednesdays 4 till 8
Yorktown Child and Family Centre provide a comprehensive range of mental health services for children, youth and families who are experiencing serious emotional/social/behavioral difficulties. Yorktown is committed to ensuring that all programs produce effective and positive outcomes for clients through evaluation, research and the incorporation of evidence-based services and practices whenever possible. We are committed to inclusiveness and diversity at all levels of the organization. Yorktown would benefit from an experienced counsellor comfortable with single session and brief strength based modalities, to provide counselling to a diverse multi-cultural population. Our walk in service provides a range of individual and family sessions to a complex and multi-cultural clientele. The volunteer would benefit from a team support approach and the opportunity to serve a wide variety of issues and concerns in a community setting.
We have a rotating roster of volunteers on the Wednesday 4 to 8 section of our 5 day a week ‘what’s up’ walk in. On Wednesdays we have at minimum present our Clinical Manager, a counselling staff or two, our reception/admin staff and a volunteer to provide service to the walk in. This group functions as a team, discussing issues and needs and supporting each other with each client/family situation, before, during and after each client that receives service that evening.
- The clinical volunteer will be responsible for the provision of single session therapy to children, youth and families during our Wednesday walk in, on her/his scheduled times.
- The primary component of this position will be providing one hour single session therapy to support the Agency’s Walk In service delivery model. This therapy may use a variety of modalities but will contain elements of brief, solution focused therapy.
- After each client served the volunteer will write a brief summary form which is signed by the Manager.
- S.W., R.S.W. or equivalent Masters with several years clinical experience grounded in a strengths-based, systemic perspective with children, youth and families
- Minimum two years relevant children’s mental health experience with preference for experience using evidence based clinical models
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in the provision of goal-focused, brief and single session therapy
- Enthusiasm and skill working to support change with a multi-challenged, diverse client population
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including report writing
- Superb interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience working in a team setting
- Recent Vulnerable Sector Screening is required
Reports to the Manager of Clinical Services